Ginger Cheesecake Bars
A double dose of spice flavors these refrigerated sweets: Chopped crystallized ginger is mixed into the filling, and crushed gingersnaps make up the crust.
Holiday Cookies 2005, Special Issue Holiday 2005
- Yield Makes about 4 dozen
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
- 12 ounces store-bought gingersnaps (about 45 cookies)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-by-13-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside. Place gingersnaps in a food processor; pulse to a powder. Transfer to a small bowl, and stir in butter until well combined. Press gingersnap mixture evenly into bottom of prepared baking sheet. Bake crust until firm, about 12 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, put cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until softened. Mix in sugar, egg, egg yolk, sour cream, and vanilla until well combined. Mix in crystallized ginger.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture onto crust, and spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Bake, rotating sheet halfway through, until filling has puffed and feels slightly firm to the touch (do not let brown), 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap, until set,
about 1 hour. To serve, cut into bars. Bars can be refrigerated in single layers in airtight containers up to 2 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.