These bar cookies are dense with cashew chunks, toffee bits, and plenty of butterscotch chips.
Holiday Cookies 2005, December 2005
- Yield Makes 9 large or 16 small squares
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews, coarsely chopped (about 3 ounces)
- 1/4 cup toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a buttered 8-inch square baking pan with foil or parchment paper, allowing a 2-inch overhang. Butter lining (excluding overhang); set pan aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Put butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla; mix until combined. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture, and mix, scraping down sides of bowl, until well combined. Mix in butterscotch, cashews, and toffee.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Bake until golden brown and a cake tester inserted into blondies (avoid center and edges) comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet, 42 to 45 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan, about 15 minutes. Lift out; let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares. Blondies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.