West Texas Baked Beans
If you don't have time to soak the beans overnight, place them in a large pot and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, cover, and turn off heat. Let stand 1 hour. Drain and proceed to Step two.
Martha Stewart Living, September 1996
- 6 cups (2 1/2 pounds) dried pinto beans
- 1 pound bacon
- 2 onions, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed light-brown sugar
- 2 twelve-ounce bottles dark beer
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a stockpot or Dutch oven, cover beans with cold water by 6 inches. Soak 8 hours or overnight.
- In a heavy skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, and set aside.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons fat. Add onions, chile powder, and garlic; saute stirring, until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Drain beans. Return to stockpot; cover with water by 2 inches. Crumble bacon into small pieces; add to beans with onion mixture, sugar, and beer. Cook, covered, over medium-high heat; stir occasionally, until beans are soft and liquid is almost absorbed, about 2 1/2 hours. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.