Roasted Pumpkin Soup
Martha Stewart Living, October 2009
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 3/4 pounds sugar pumpkin or butternut squash, halved and seeded
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered through the stem
- 2 shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps wiped clean
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut pumpkin into 2-inch pieces.
Combine pumpkin, onion, mushrooms, and garlic on a rimmed baking sheet. Add oil and 2 teaspoons salt; toss to coat, then spread in a single layer. Roast until pumpkin is tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, about 30 minutes, rotating pan and tossing vegetables halfway through. Let cool, then remove skins.
- Transfer vegetables to a medium saucepan; heat over medium.
Pour in 2 cups stock; puree with an immersion blender until smooth. With the blender running, slowly add remaining 3 cups stock, and puree until smooth. Bring soup just to a simmer. Remove from heat, and season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.