Smoked Almond Toffee Brittle
Top off pastry chef Mindy Segal's mouthwatering Banana Brioche Monkey Bread with this crunchy toffee brittle.
The Martha Stewart Show
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 4 ounces milk chocolate
- 1 (9-ounce) can smoked almonds
- Line two rimmed baking sheets with a nonstick baking mat. Spray baking mat and baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add sugar, corn syrup, salt, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon water; stir to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes amber in color, 3 to 4 minutes. Pour onto one of the prepared baking sheets and let set.
- Meanwhile, chop half of the almonds; set aside. Melt chocolate in a large, heat-proof bowl set over (but not touching) simmering water. Remove from heat.
- Remove toffee from baking sheet and chop. Add to bowl with melted chocolate along with chopped almonds; stir to combine. Evenly spread mixture onto second prepared baking sheet. Chop remaining almonds and any bits of salt remaining in can; sprinkle over brittle. Transfer to refrigerator and chill until set, about 1 hour and up to overnight.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.