- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Make lemon curd: In a medium saucepan, whisk together butter, 1 cup sugar, eggs, yolks, and lemon and lime juices (mixture may appear curdled). Place over low heat; cook, stirring, until smooth, 4 to 5 minutes. Raise heat to medium; cook, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, 4 to 8 minutes (do not boil).
- Remove pan from heat; stir in lemon zest. Transfer mixture to a bowl; cover with plastic wrap, and chill at least 1 hour.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream and remaining 1/3 cup sugar to soft peaks. Whisk lemon curd to loosen, then gently fold in whipped cream. Spoon into six glasses. Cover; chill at least 2 hours and up to 3 days. Just before serving, garnish with zest.
At the end of step 2, press the plastic wrap directly onto surface of lemon curd to prevent a skin from forming.