Peach Ice Cream
Martha Stewart Living, February/March
- 3-4 large ripe peaches, sliced but not peeled
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish
- Combine peaches, lemon juice, and 1/2 cup sugar in a nonreactive bowl. Let sit for 2 hours, covered. Stir occasionally. (If desired, reserve 1/2 cup of peach mixture to use in ice-cream sodas.)
- Lightly mash peaches with potato masher. Stir in milk and vanilla; let stand for 1/2 hour.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg and egg yolk at high speed until light in color. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beating until incorporated. Lower speed and add cream, then peach mixture; mix to blend. Pour into ice-cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. (If using a hand-cranked ice-cream maker, first chill shell of the machine for 24 hours in the freezer.) Serve in goblets and garnish with fresh mint sprigs.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.