Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
You can prepare mashed potatoes several hours before dinner, but only use two-thirds of the cream. Half an hour before serving, place the potatoes in a heat-proof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water; warm, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Just before serving, mix in the remaining cream.
Martha Stewart Living, November 1998
- 2 large heads garlic
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 pounds all-purpose Maine potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Slice tops 1/4-inch off garlic heads, and discard. Coat heads with olive oil, and wrap heads in aluminum foil. Bake until tender and golden, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven, and let stand until cool enough to handle. Carefully peel garlic cloves; set aside.
- Place potatoes in a large stockpot, cover with cold salted water, and bring to a boil. Cook until very tender, about 12 minutes. Drain in a colander, and pass through a potato ricer or food mill over a large bowl.
- Heat butter and cream in a saucepan until butter has melted and cream is hot. Pour over riced potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and stir well to combine. Gently stir in the roasted garlic cloves; serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.