Cream Cheese and Mascarpone Cheesecake
Do not worry if the cheesecake sinks and cracks while it cools. The stewed fruit will conceal any imperfections.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2001
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/2 pounds cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 pound mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 5 large whole eggs, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon
- Stewed Rhubarb (http://www.marthastewart.com/282456/stewed-rhubarb)
- 1/2 pint raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar until light. Add flour, cornmeal, and salt, and mix until well combined. Press mixture onto the bottom and 3/4 of the way up sides of a 10-by-3-inch springform pan to form a neat crust. Place in the oven, and bake until lightly golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove pan from oven, and place on a wire rack. Gently press sides of crust back into place if necessary. Let cool to room temperature.
- Reduce oven to 325 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese, mascarpone, and remaining 1 1/4 cups sugar on low speed until smooth and well combined. Add eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, beating on low speed after each addition until combined, scraping down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula as necessary.
- Add cream, vanilla extract, and orange and lemon zests; beat just until combined. Do not overbeat. Pour mixture into cooled shell; place in oven; bake until set but still wobbly in center, 65 to 70 minutes. Turn oven off, and allow cheesecake to sit in the oven 1 hour more. Remove cheesecake from oven, and place on a wire rack to cool. When completely cool, chill at least 2 hours or overnight. Remove outside ring of springform pan.
- Combine stewed rhubarb with raspberries. Spoon fruit over cheesecake immediately before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.