Lady Baltimore Frosting
Martha Stewart Living, July 2002
- Yield Makes enough for one 9-inch cake
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of coarse salt
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, and the water. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. When sugar has dissolved, continue to cook without stirring, until it reaches 248 degrees as measured on a candy thermometer.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites, vanilla, and salt until stiff peaks form. When sugar mixture has reached 248 degrees. pour it into the beaten egg whites while beating constantly on high speed, until the mixture is cool and is the proper consistency for spreading, about 7 minutes.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.