You can make this beef stew in the oven or a slow cooker. Either way, you will have a warming, wholesome, and wonderfully flavorful meal.
Everyday Food, October 2006
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 2 hours 45 minutes
- Yield Serves 6
- 3 pounds beef chuck, trimmed of visible fat and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 pound medium onions (about 2), cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 pound small white or red new potatoes (about 6), well scrubbed, halved if large
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a Dutch oven (5-quart) with a tight-fitting lid, combine beef, tomato paste, vinegar, and flour; season with salt and pepper.
- Add onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil. Cover, transfer to oven, and cook until meat is fork-tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Remove bay leaves and, if desired, season with salt and pepper before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.