Brussels Sprout Puree
Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1996/1997
- 1 pound (about 4 cups) brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Trim tough stems from brussels sprouts. With a knife, mark base of each brussels sprout with a shallow "x." Remove about 25 large outer green leaves; set aside.
- In pot of boiling salted water, cook brussels sprouts until just tender but still bright green, 6 to 8 minutes. Strain, and transfer to ice water to stop cooking.
- Blanch reserved leaves in pot of boiling water, until bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Strain; transfer to bowl of ice water. Drain; reserve. Transfer sprouts to food processor.
- Heat cream and butter in saucepan over low heat until butter has melted. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg; add to sprouts. Process until combined. Transfer to serving bowl. Arrange reserved leaves around edge of bowl.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.