Vinegared Sushi Rice
Martha Stewart Living, May 2003
- 5 cups sushi rice
- 4 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 10 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2-inch square piece konbu
- Place rice in a sieve and submerge in a large bowl of cold water. Rinse, gently rubbing rice, under cold running water until the water is no longer cloudy. Drain, and set aside until partially dried, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer rice to a rice cooker and add water. Cook for 30 minutes, and turn off. Let stand, without removing cover, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine 3/4 cup vinegar, salt, mirin, and sugar. Simmer until sugar dissolves. Add konbu, and remove from heat; let cool. When cool, add remaining 1/4 cup vinegar.
- Transfer steamed rice to a rice tub. Pour over about 2/3 cup vinegar mixture. With a rice paddle, mix using a slicing motion. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.