Mixed Summer Bean Salad
Use any combination of fresh beans you like. They can be cooked ahead of time and refrigerated until you're ready to use them.
Martha Stewart Living, June/July Summer 1993
- 1 pound mixed fresh beans, such as string beans, wax beans, haricots verts, and shelled fava beans
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely diced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Red-wine vinegar
- Chopped fresh herbs, such as tarragon, basil, or parsley (optional)
- 8 leaves red-leaf lettuce
- Trim stem ends of beans. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch each type of bean separately until crisp-tender. Refresh in ice water, drain, and pat dry.
- Toss beans with shallot, oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Add vinegar to taste and herbs, if desired.
- Arrange red-leaf lettuce and beans on each of 4 plates, and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.