Spiced Sweet Potato Wedges
A fantastic accompaniment to grilled pork or roast chicken, these salty-sweet wedges also make a stealthily healthy snack for ravenous boys.
From the book "Mad Hungry," by Lucinda Scala Quinn. (c)2009, Lucinda Scala Quinn. Used by permission of Artisan Books, artisanbooks.com.
Mad Hungry, September 2010
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced in half lengthwise, and cut into wedges about 4 inches long
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with baking parchment or foil.
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, salt, cumin, and cayenne. Spread the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet. Drizzle the oil over the wedges and toss to coat.
- Transfer the wedges to the bowl and toss completely with the spice mixture to coat each piece. Return the potatoes to the baking sheet and spread out in a single layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Turn over the wedges. Raise the heat to 400 degrees. Bake for 10 to 15 more minutes, until the potatoes are golden brown and tender.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.