- 3/4 walnuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons salt-packed capers, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup aged sherry-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Using a mortar and pestle, roughly pound walnuts; transfer to a medium bowl. Add garlic to mortar and pound to a paste; add to same bowl. Stir in capers, onions, parsley, vinegar, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
To make this recipe as prepared on "The Martha Stewart Show," use 1 cup of extra-virgin olive oil.