Garlicky Habanero Macadamia Nuts
Macadamia nuts get a wake-up call in this spicy snack (left, in photo), found in Rick Bayless's Cinco de Mayo guacamole bar. Get All the Recipes
The Martha Stewart Show, May 2010
- 6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 to 2 fresh habanero chiles, stemmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 cups roasted macadamia nuts (about 1 pound)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium dry skillet, roast garlic and chiles over medium heat, turning, until soft and blackened in spots, 10 to 15 minutes for the garlic, and about 10 minutes for the chiles. Remove from heat. When garlic is cool enough to handle, peel and transfer to a mortar or the bowl of a small food processor along with chiles. Using a pestle, pound the mixture until smooth or process until smooth. Add oil, honey, and salt and pound or process until well combined.
- Place nuts in a large bowl and add garlic-chile mixture; stir to coat. Spread nuts evenly on a rimmed baking sheet and transfer to oven. Bake, stirring occasionally, until nuts are fragrant and coating is shiny and dry, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.