Martha Stewart Living Television
- 1 lemon
- 2 pounds salsify
- 1 cup <u>Blonde Soffrito Base</u>
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 4 whole peeled plum tomatoes (canned or fresh), crushed, juices reserved
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Fresh basil, finely sliced crosswise, for garnish
- Squeeze lemon juice in a large bowl. Add the rinds, and 6 cups of water. Peel salsify, trim the ends, and cut into 1/2-inch-by-2 1/2-inch long lengths. Place salsify in lemon water to keep it from browning.
- In a large straight-sided skillet, heat soffrito over medium heat. Add garlic and rosemary, and cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and crushed tomatoes with reserved juices. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the flavors begin to meld, about 10 minutes.
- Drain salsify, and place it into skillet with 1 cup water. Cover, and simmer over medium-low heat, turning occasionally, until tender, about 45 minutes. If the skillet begins to get dry, add a little more water. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Garnish with basil, and serve.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.