- 2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 drops red or pink food coloring
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and 1/2 cup granulated sugar on medium-high until creamy, 3 minutes. Add egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla and beat until combined. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture and beat to combine.
- Place 1/4 cup granulated sugar in a small bowl; roll dough into 1-inch balls and coat with sugar. Transfer to two parchment-lined baking sheets. With the bottom of a glass, flatten balls to 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Press a 1-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter into each (do not cut through). Bake until cookies are golden at edges, 10 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cookies cool on wire racks.
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners' sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 3/4 teaspoons cold water. Whisk in food coloring. With a small spoon, spread glaze inside heart. Let set 15 minutes.
Store plain cookies in an airtight container, up to 4 days.