- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced large
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 3/4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 small eggplants, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Cooked couscous (optional), for serving
- In an 8-quart Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 minutes. Add cumin, cinnamon, coriander, cayenne, and allspice and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add carrots, potatoes, and squash and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and broth (vegetables should be completely covered by liquid; add water to cover if necessary). Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Add eggplant, stir to combine, and simmer until eggplant is tender, 20 minutes. Stir in chickpeas, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook until chickpeas are warmed through, 5 minutes. Serve stew with couscous if desired.
To store, let cool, then refrigerate in an airtight container, up to 1 week.