Chocolate Ricotta Mousse
This chocolate mousse is a slimmed down version of the original that is just as indulgent. Skim ricotta cheese is pureed with cocoa powder to form the base, which is then lightened with beaten egg whites.
Everyday Food, January/February 2011
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 15 minutes plus chilling
- Serves 6
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for dusting (optional)
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Coarse salt
- In a food processor, pulse ricotta and cocoa powder until completely smooth. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Place egg whites, sugar, and pinch of salt in a medium heatproof mixing bowl set over (not in) a pot of simmering water. Cook, whisking constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture is warm to the touch, about 3 minutes. Remove bowl from heat and, using an electric mixer, beat mixture on high until stiff glossy peaks form, about 5 minutes. With a rubber spatula, gently fold egg-white mixture into ricotta mixture until combined. Divide mousse among six glasses or small bowls. Refrigerate until set, 3 hours (or up to 1 day). To serve, lightly dust with cocoa powder if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.