- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, torn into small pieces
- 2 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 globe eggplant (1 pound)
- 1/2 small red onion, diced small
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, stir together tomatoes, garlic cloves, cumin, and olive oil. Place eggplant on top of tomato mixture and roast until eggplant is very tender when pierced with a knife and tomato juices are thick, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool. Transfer eggplant to a cutting board and halve lengthwise. Scrape out flesh with a spoon (discarding as many seeds as possible); roughly chop flesh. Place in a large bowl. Peel and chop garlic and add to bowl. Stir in tomato mixture and red onion. Season with salt and pepper.
To store, refrigerate in an airtight container, up to 1 week.