- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour (spooned and leveled)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cherries
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed (optional)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, oats, raisins, and fennel seed, if using. In a small bowl, whisk together butter, egg, and buttermilk until combined, then add to flour mixture. Stir until batter is evenly moistened (do not overmix). Drop batter by 1/3 cupfuls, 2 inches apart, onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, 15 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through. Let scones cool on a wire rack, 5 minutes.
Store scones in an airtight container, up to 1 day.