Roasted Red Onion and Squash Pasta
This easy pasta dinner comes together in less than 25 minutes. While the red onions and butternut squash roast in the oven, cook the rigatoni on the stovetop. Once they are both done, combine with fontina cheese and some pasta water to create a simple sauce.
Everyday Food, January/February 2011
- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Total Time 25 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 medium red onions, cut into 6 wedges each, layers separated
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 pound short ridged pasta, such as rigatoni
- 1/4 cup grated fontina cheese (2 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed
baking sheet, toss onions, squash, and sage
with oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange in a single layer and roast until
tender, about 25 minutes, rotating sheet
and tossing vegetables halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling
salted water, cook pasta according to
package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta
water; drain pasta and return to pot.
Add vegetables and cheese and toss
to combine, adding enough pasta water
to create a thin sauce that coats pasta.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.