Chicken Sandwiches with White Onions and Peppers
Change up your cold lunch routine with a hot sandwich. A combination of sauteed onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms makes a tasty topping for this chicken cutlet sandwich, assembled on half a baguette.
Everyday Food, January/February 2011
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Yield Serves 2
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 small white onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 cup cremini or button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced (2 ounces)
- 2 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 chicken cutlets (about 6 ounces total)
- Cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 baguette, halved lengthwise and insides scooped out, toasted
- Lettuce leaves
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium. Add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion and bell pepper are tender, about 12 minutes. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl and stir in vinegar; tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to skillet. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and pinch of cayenne. Cook until golden brown on one side, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 1 minute more.
- Spread mayonnaise on inside of bread. Assemble sandwich with vegetables, chicken, and lettuce. Cut in half crosswise to serve.
Scooping out the bread
makes the sandwich
lighter. Turn the excess
bread into breadcrumbs.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.