Roasted Autumn Harvest Salad
Make this roasted autumn harvest salad for a delicious and healthy side dish. The recipe is featured in "Martha Stewart's Cooking School: Lessons and Recipes for the Home Cook."
The Martha Stewart Show, November Fall 2008
For Roasted Vegetables
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 baby red or golden beets, or 4 medium beets scrubbed and trimmed
- 8 shallots, peeled and cut in half if large
- 4 medium parsnips (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 3-inch lengths (halve the thicker end pieces lengthwise)
- 6 long carrots, scrubbed well or peeled, halved lengthwise
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves (from 2 sprigs)
- 2 bunches arugula, trimmed and washed well (6 cups)
- Shallot Vinaigrette (http://www.marthastewart.com/257331/shallot-vinaigrette)
- Roast beets: Heat oven to 450 degrees. Place beets on a parchment-lined piece of aluminum foil and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Wrap in foil and bake until beets are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 30 to 45 minutes for baby beets and up to 1 1/4 hours for larger beets. Let stand until cool enough to handle, then rub off skins with paper towels. Cut beets in half (or into quarters or sixths if large).
- Meanwhile, roast shallots, parsnips, and carrots: Toss shallots, parsnips, and carrots in a large bowl with remaining 3 tablespoons oil, then season with salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with rosemary, tossing to coat. Roast until tender and golden, turning vegetables over once, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Prepare greens: Wash arugula and dry thoroughly, then place in a bowl and cover with a damp kitchen towel (or damp paper towels). Refrigerate until needed (this will help crisp the leaves).
- Toss vegetables and greens with vinaigrette: Toss parsnips, carrots, and shallots with 2 tablespoons vinaigrette. Toss beets separately with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette (to prevent their color from bleeding). Toss arugula with 2 tablespoons vinaigrette and season lightly with salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Compose salad and serve: Line a serving platter with arugula and arrange vegetables on top. Serve salad immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.