This mouthwatering brittle is featured in the Butterscotch Cream Pie recipe from "The Craft of Baking," by pastry chef Karen Demasco.
The Martha Stewart Show, November 2009
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) salted roasted cashews
- Lightly coat a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, butter, corn syrup, and 1/2 cup water; stir so that sugar is wet. Place mixture over high heat and cook, without stirring, until it turns dark amber in color, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Carefully whisk in baking soda, followed by salt; mixture will rise and bubble. Using a wooden or metal spoon, fold in cashews. Pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet, spreading in an even 1/2-inch-thick layer using back of the spoon. Let cool completely.
- Break brittle into bite-size pieces using a mallet or the back of a heavy knife. Brittle can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 2 weeks.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.