Steak Frites Herb Butter
Riad Nasr and Lee Hanson, chefs at New York City's Balthazar and Pastis restaurants, top their steak with this herb butter for an aromatic flavor.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chervil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- In a medium bowl, combine butter, chervil, tarragon, chives, parsley, thyme, garlic, shallots, pepper, and salt. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer butter mixture to a piece of plastic wrap. Roll up to form a cylinder, twisting ends of plastic wrap to seal. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour and up to 1 week.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.