Chocolate Torte with Passover Fudge Glaze
Make the nut milk for the Passover Fudge Glaze first; the leftover puree keeps this cake moist and tender.
Martha Stewart Living, April 1998
- Yield Makes one 9-inch round cake
- 1 1/3 cups whole hazelnuts
- 3/4 cup margarine, melted, plus more for pan
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder, plus more for pan
- 1/3 cup matzo cake meal
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- Passover Fudge Glaze (http://www.marthastewart.com/258799/passover-fudge-glaze)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking pan with parchment, and spread hazelnuts on top. Bake until fragrant and toasted, about 10 minutes. Place nuts in a clean kitchen towel, and rub to remove loose skins. Place 1/3 cup nuts in bowl of food processor, and pulse until finely ground; reserve. Roughly chop remaining 1 cup nuts, and set aside.
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with margarine; dust with cocoa powder. Whisk together remaining 3/4 cup cocoa powder, ground hazelnuts, and matzo meal; set aside.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat yolks and brown sugar on medium-high speed until mixture holds a ribbonlike trail for 3 seconds when you raise the whisk, about 45 seconds. Fold in 1 cup nut puree from fudge glaze recipe. Transfer to a large bowl; wash and dry mixer bowl and attachment. Place egg whites and salt in mixer bowl; beat with whisk attachment on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, about 1 minute. With mixer running, slowly add superfine sugar; beat until stiff and glossy. Fold egg whites and ground-hazelnut mixture into egg-yolk mixture. Fold in melted margarine. Transfer batter to prepared pan; smooth top with an offset spatula.
- Transfer to oven; bake until a wooden skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Invert pan, and remove cake. Using a serrated knife, slice cake into two layers. Place a 9-inch cake round on a wire rack set on a baking sheet. Place bottom layer of cake on round; spread 1/2 cup fudge glaze on top. Place second layer on bottom layer. Pour remaining glaze over cake, using the offset spatula to cover sides. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, press chopped hazelnuts onto sides.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.