Poached Quince Balls
This recipe from chef Eric Snow of the Oak Room is used to make White Chocolate Spheres Filled with Chocolate Mousse, a one-of-a-kind Valentine's Day dessert.
The Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2009
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 piece star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 3 quince, peeled, cored, and seeded
- In a medium saucepan bring sugar, star anise, cinnamon, and 4 cups water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, using a 1/2-inch melon baller, scoop out 12 balls of quince.
- Add quince to liquid and reduce to a simmer. Cook until quince is tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely in liquid. Store quince in poaching liquid in an airtight container, refrigerated, until ready to use.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.