Chunky Mashed Potatoes
A dollop of cottage cheese or ricotta cheese adds protein to this dish of deliciousness.From the book "Mad Hungry," by Lucinda Scala Quinn (Artisan Books).
Mad Hungry, September 2010
- 5 4- to 5-inch russet or Idaho potatoes, washed well but not peeled
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) small-curd cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes. Insert a knife into the center of the potatoes to ensure accurate soft tenderness; the potatoes should be soft but not falling apart. Drain. When cool enough to handle, hold each potato in a clean kitchen towel and peel off the skin. Cut into chunks. (If in a hurry, peel the potatoes first and cut into small chunks for boiling.)
- Add the butter and milk to the same pot and place over the lowest heat to melt the butter and warm the milk. Return the potatoes to the pot and mash until almost smooth. Add the cottage cheese and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Stir briskly before serving.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.