Arugula and Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese
With green lentils anchoring a medley of tangy goat cheese and peppery arugula, this nicely textured salad is both light and filling.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2010
- 1/2 cup dried French green lentils, rinsed, drained, and picked over
- 1 small red onion, halved
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces baby arugula (6 cups loosely packed)
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved if large
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Place lentils and 1 onion half in a medium saucepan; cover with cold water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain; discard onion half. Transfer lentils to a medium bowl.
- Chop remaining onion. Combine vinegar and mustard. Pour in oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until emulsified. Add chopped onion. Season with salt and pepper. Toss lentils with half the vinaigrette; let cool.
- Arrange half the arugula on a platter. Spoon half the lentils on top. Top with half the tomatoes and half the goat cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients to form another layer; drizzle with remaining vinaigrette.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.