Buttermilk Potato Soup
- 2 pounds potatoes, such as Gold Rush, Austrian Crescent, All Blue, and Red La Soda
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 small onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cups buttermilk
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon dill, roughly chopped
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan, cover with cold water, and add salt. (If using more than one variety, use a different saucepan for each to accommodate varying cooking times.) Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer; cook until fork-tender, 10 to 20 minutes.
- While potatoes cook, heat butter and oil in a medium skillet over high heat, and add onions. Reduce heat to medium, and saute until golden brown and slightly caramelized, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Drain potatoes, and let cool briefly. For a decorative touch, use a paring knife to remove a band of peel from the center section of each potato. Divide potatoes between four soup bowls and pour 3/4 cup buttermilk into each bowl. Top with caramelized onions, season with salt and pepper, and garnish with dill. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.