Dark Chocolate-Almond Crackles
These cookies bring together rich dark chocolate and nutty toasted almonds.
Martha Stewart Living, May 2010
Yield Makes about 4 dozen
- 8 ounces dark chocolate (such as 70 percent cacao), finely chopped
- 5 ounces blanched almonds (1 cup), toasted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Coarse salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler or a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring. Let cool.
- Pulse almonds in a food processor until very finely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl, and stir in flour, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Beat butter and brown sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Mix in chocolate. Reduce speed to low, and mix in almond-flour mixture. Refrigerate dough until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350. Form dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar to coat, then in confectioners' sugar to coat. Arrange on parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing about 1 inch apart.
- Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until surfaces crack, about 14 minutes. Transfer sheets to wire racks; let cool.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.