Caramelized Onion and Lentil Soup
Everyday Food, April 2010
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt, for serving
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, chives, marjoram, or a combination, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and edges are browned, about 15 minutes. Add lentils and broth and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce to a medium simmer and cook, gradually smashing some lentils against the side of pan with a spoon to thicken soup, 10 minutes. Serve topped with a dollop of yogurt and herbs.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.