These cookies are the perfect ending for a Chinese dinner. They are so good that Martha often uses them just for the cookie jar. This recipe is from "Entertaining," by Martha Stewart.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup lard
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 tablespoons almond extract
- 3 3/4 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 36 whole blanched almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter, lard, and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and almond extract and continue beating until smooth.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together, and stir into butter mixture. Knead a bit with your hands to make a stiff, smooth dough.
- Form dough into 1 1/2-inch balls, and place 3 inches apart on a buttered baking sheet. Flatten with the palm of your hand, and center a whole almond on each cookie. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned on bottom but very pale on top. Cool on racks.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.