Meatballs for Patsy's Meatball Lasagna
- 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 6 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef, preferably chuck
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 3 large, whole eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Dried breadcrumbs, for work surface
- Olive oil, for frying
- Place breadcrumbs in a small bowl. Drizzle the milk over and let stand until absorbed.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the ground meats in a large bowl. Add breadcrumb mixture to meats along with the reserved onion and garlic, whole eggs, yolks, parsley, oregano, and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix until just combined.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over work surface. Roll 3/4 cup meatball mixture into a thin strip, about 12 inches long; repeat 3 more times. Line strips next to one another; sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Cut strips into 1-inch lengths. Repeat process with remaining meat mixture.
- Working in batches, transfer 1-inch pieces to a large sieve; sprinkle lightly with breadcrumbs to prevent sticking. Toss until pieces become round and form meatballs.
- Lightly coat the bottom of a large skillet with olive oil; set over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook meatballs until browned and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain. Repeat with additional oil and remaining meatballs.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.