No packaged granola can match this easy-to-make, lightly honeyed version. To add variety, seek out store-bought muesli and hot and cold cereals made from ancient grains.
Martha Stewart Living, November 2008
- 1 cup barley flakes
- 1 cup spelt flakes
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix flakes and oats in a medium bowl. Spread mixture on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake, stirring every 10 minutes, until light gold, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients, and toss to coat. Return to sheet, and spread in an even layer. Bake, stirring halfway through, until golden brown, for 20 minutes. Let cool. Granola can be stored for up to 3 weeks.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.