Figs in Meringue
Photography: David Loftus
Martha Stewart Living, November 1999
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 large figs, cut in quarters, lengthwise
- Heat oven to 250 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks on medium speed, about 7 minutes. Reduce the speed to low, and slowly add the confectioners' sugar. Once the sugar is fully incorporated, increase the speed to high; you may need to scrape down the bowl a few times. Whisk until whites are firm but not dry, about 10 minutes more.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide the meringue into 4 equal dollops on the parchment, and place 3 fig quarters in the center of each dollop. Using a small offset spatula, smooth the meringue around the bottom of the figs, sealing the bottom of each fig in meringue.
- Place baking sheet with meringue and figs on center rack of oven, and bake until meringues are firm, about 1 hour. Remove baking pan from oven, and, using a spatula, transfer meringues to a serving platter. Serve immediately.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.