Sweet Potato Hash Browns
Hash browns can be served for breakfast with fried or scrambled eggs and toast. Chilling the potatoes in the refrigerator prevents them from falling apart when they are sauteed.
Martha Stewart Living, November 1997
- 2 large sweet potatoes, 2 pounds, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add sweet potatoes, and cook until they can be easily pierced with a fork but still offer some resistance, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold running water. Refrigerate until completely chilled, about 1 hour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, and saute, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer onions to a small bowl, and set aside.
- Pour remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil into the skillet, and place over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Add reserved onions, and cook 2 minutes. Toss in parsley, and adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.