Barley Salad with Chicken and Corn
Barley, a whole grain, makes this salad satisfying; chicken is a great source of lean protein. If you like, try quick-cooking barley, which will be ready in 15 minutes.
Everyday Food, June 2010
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 45 minutes
- Serves 4
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup barley
- 2 bunches scallions, cut into thirds crosswise and white ends halved
- 2 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 3 ears corn) or frozen corn
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- Reserved cooked chicken breast from Buttermilk Chicken with Cornbread and Cucumber-Celery Salad (http://www.marthastewart.com/332281/buttermilk-chicken-with-cornbread-and-cu), shredded
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- In a medium pot of boiling salted water, cook barley according to package instructions. Drain and let cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place scallions and corn on a rimmed baking sheet. Toss with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- In a large bowl, combine barley, roasted vegetables, tomatoes, parsley, chicken, 1 tablespoon oil, and 1 tablespoon lime juice; season with salt and pepper. In a medium bowl, toss spinach with 1 tablespoon oil and 2 teaspoons lime juice; season with salt and pepper. Serve spinach with chicken-barley mixture.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.