Cinnamon and Spice Hot Cocoa
Not only are these cups of cocoa hot, they have additional heat from ancho chile powder. A touch of cinnamon rounds out the flavor. Serve with marshmallows for a finishing touch.
Everyday Food, January/February 2011
- Prep Time 5 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- Coarse salt
- Marshmallows (optional), for serving
- In a medium pot, whisk together milk, cocoa powder, sugar, cinnamon, chile powder, and pinch of salt over medium-high until combined. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Pour cocoa into four mugs and serve immediately with marshmallows if desired.
For extra froth, pour hot cocoa into a blender and whirl for 1 minute before serving (use caution when blending hot liquids).
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.