Spiced Butterflied Leg of Lamb
An anise-scented rub and fragrant olive oil stand up to the robust flavor of lamb.
Everyday Food, July/August 2008
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 50 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grates
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds butterflied leg of lamb
- Grilled lemon wedges, for serving (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine oil, coriander and fennel seeds, red-pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a shallow dish, coat lamb with marinade. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes (or refrigerate, up to overnight).
- Heat grill to medium-low; lightly oil grates. Grill lamb, covered, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of meat registers 130 degrees for medium-rare, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Remove from grill. Tent with aluminum foil; let rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice lamb, and serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
While the lamb is marinating, cook up a simple, refreshing Mediterranean-style side, such as our lemony orzo, to balance the richness of the meat.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.