Chickpea Apple Curry
Serve with cucumber-yogurt salad. Per serving: 259 calories, 5 g fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 43 g carbs, 314 mg sodium, 12 g protein, 10 g dietary fiber
Martha Stewart Living, October 2001
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 recipe <u>Curry Powder</u>
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4-inch-wide slivers
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Two 15 1/2-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add curry powder; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add onion, ginger, and garlic; cook until onion starts to soften and is well coated with curry mixture, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cilantro, tomatoes, apples, and chickpeas. Cover; simmer until apples are tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Uncover; simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in lemon juice. Just before serving, stir in yogurt.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.