Corn-Tortilla and Egg Scramble
Put a Southwestern twist on your morning scrambled eggs with torn corn tortillas. Add chile and tomato for flavor as well as lively color.
Everyday Food, September 2010
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Total Time 20 minutes
- Yield Serves 4
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 corn tortillas, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 white onion, diced small (1 cup)
- 1 large poblano chile, seeded and diced small (1 cup)
- 1 medium tomato, diced small (1 cup)
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- salsa or hot sauce (optional), for serving
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add tortillas and cook, stirring frequently, until golden and crisp, about 6 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Discard 1/3 of the oil from skillet. Add onion and chile and cook until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomato and cook until it begins to break down, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add eggs, tortillas, and cheese and cook, stirring constantly, until eggs are set, about 3 minutes. Serve with salsa or hot sauce if desired.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.