Chicken in Tomatoes
This recipe for chicken in tomatoes was created for using frozen summer produce, but if you just can't wait, fresh will work just as well.
Everyday Food, September 2010
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Total Time 40 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 pounds frozen tomatoes (4 cups), thawed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (1 1/2 pounds total)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 3 sprigs oregano
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a food processor, pulse tomatoes until coarsely chopped. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook, skin side down, until golden and crisp, about 7 minutes. Flip and cook 1 minute. Transfer chicken to a plate and drain all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion to skillet and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken, skin side up, and oregano, then transfer skillet to oven. Cook until chicken is cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.