There's no need for a dipping sauce with these crunchy little fritters. Just sprinkle them with coarse salt and they're ready to be devoured.
Everyday Food, September 2010
- Prep Time 30 minutes
- Total Time 30 minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cups frozen sliced okra, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced small (1/2 cup)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat oil over medium. In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add okra and onion and toss to coat. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and buttermilk. Add to okra mixture and stir just until combined.
- In two batches, drop batter in 2-tablespoonful mounds into oil. With a small spatula or butter knife, gently flatten each mound and fry until golden, about 4 minutes per side, flipping once (adjust heat if browning too quickly). Drain on paper towels. Season with salt and serve warm. Makes about 10.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.