Classic Oatmeal Cookies
Martha Stewart Living, March 2004
Yield Makes about 3 dozen
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups mixed dried fruits and nuts, such as golden raisins, currants, coarsely chopped dried apricots, dried cherries, coarsely chopped pecans, or a combination of above
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with Silpats; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs; mix on high speed to combine. Mix in vanilla; set aside.
- Combine oats, flour, wheat germ, baking soda, and baking powder in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, and beat on low speed to combine, 10 to 15 seconds. Remove bowl from mixer, and stir in dried fruits and nuts.
- Using a large metal scoop, drop dough onto prepared sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake until golden and just set, about 18 minutes. Transfer sheets to wire rack to cool.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.