Photography: GENTL & HYERS
Martha Stewart Living, April 1996
Yield Makes one 11-by-15-inch pie
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound frozen phyllo pastry
- 4 bunches (3 1/4 pounds) fresh spinach, washed, stemmed, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped scallion, light-green and white parts only
- 1 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 pound small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 pound feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- 1/4 cup uncooked cream of wheat
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a small saucepan, melt butter and oil together over low heat. Brush an 11-by-15-by-2-inch baking pan with butter-oil mixture. Layer 7 sheets of phyllo in pan, brushing each with butter mixture. In a large bowl, thoroughly combine remaining ingredients, except phyllo.
- Spread about 2 cups spinach filling over phyllo in pan. Cover with 2 sheets phyllo, brushing each with butter mixture. Repeat layering 2 cups filling and 2 sheets phyllo, brushing each with butter mixture, until all filling has been used, about 4 more layers.
- Top with 7 more sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter mixture. Press gently around the edges so layers adhere. Prick surface all over with a toothpick.
- Bake 15 minutes, reduce heat to 300 degrees and continue baking until pastry is golden, about 1 hour. Let stand 1 hour before serving.
© 2013 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.