Dutch Baby Pancake
Baked in a large, hot skillet, the thin, eggy batter puffs up like a popover. To serve, slide the pancake from the skillet onto a round serving platter, and present it apple side up.
Martha Stewart Living, February 1998
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Heat a well-seasoned 10-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add butter. When melted, add apple wedges. Cook until softened and lightly golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in honey and cardamom, and remove skillet from heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients, except confectioners’ sugar, until smooth. Pour over apple mixture. Bake until puffed and brown, about 20 minutes. Slide pancake onto a serving platter. Serve immediately, cut into wedges, with confectioners’ sugar sifted over the top.
© 2014 Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. All rights reserved.